A proto type data logger development project was completed for FID that incorporated and inexpensive Modbus PLC and a simple Raspberry Pi programmed to
communicate with the Modbus PLC and specific data at a predetermined rate.
- This was a development project for Fresno Irrigation District.
- Project requirements as follows:
- oRelatively inexpensive
- oCapable of logging data in CSV files for specific registers at predetermined rate.
- oCapable of being integrated into their existing SCADA system in the future.
- oAbility to download via Wi-Fi with laptop/tablet near the site (In Pickup)
- The Raspberry Pi was chosen because it was inexpensive and could easily be programmed to communicate in Modbus with the PLC.
- FID’s SCADA system is Modbus based so to integrate this RTU into their existing SCADA system only required replacing the Raspberry Pi with a SCADA system radio.